October 16, 2010

Delaney's Nursery

With 4 days to go (can't believe it!) until we get to meet our baby girl, thought we'd share some before and after pictures of her nursery.

The room started out as our home office. When we first bought our home, it had two solid french doors but we took them off to open up the space.

True story: we had a Garage Sale about two years ago. The doors had been taking up space in our garage, and Jeremy vowed to sell them to someone. I don't know why I doubted him, but I have to admit I was pretty skeptical. It was hilarious because Jeremy asked every single person who came up to look though our stuff, "Can I interest you in a couple of doors?" He got a lot of funny looks and I was just cracking up. His persistence paid off when one guy finally took the bait. He said he had a rental property they would work in. Needless to say, he strapped those doors to the roof of his car, we didn't have to keep storing them, and Jeremy looked like the cat that got the canary for the rest of the day.

So, one of the first things we wanted to do to get the space ready was to find new doors, but this time with windowpanes. We found the perfect ones, had them installed, and Nana Rosalie helped get them painted and ready.


















The next step was the paint the room since it was Sky, er, Carolina, Blue. Now, Tarheels fans will tell you that Carolina Blue is perfectly acceptable no matter the gender, but just couldn't go with blue paint for a girl's room. We decided on a warm, pinky beige color and both Grandmothers and Jeremy painted the room the weekend of our first baby shower. They did a really good job and it looks awesome! We also went shopping for the furniture (crib, glider, changing table/dresser) while BB was in town from Raleigh.


















The next fun part was picking out the nursery bedding--love the polka dots, stripes, and flowers with the different colors in pink, orange, blue, yellow, and green. And or course, had to get her name and initials embroidered for a little extra cute. :o) Her mobile has little bumblebees and plays "You Can Fly" from the Peter Pan movie.

















As the furniture came in, Jeremy was a total trooper. We couldn't fit everything in one trip and he had to drive back and forth to the store about 4 times to get all of the boxes. He did a good job putting the crib, dresser and bassinet together, and then had some help from Uncle Matt while has was in town recently on the glider.

 

Then I worked on making her the ABC art using cardstock in the same color scheme and a frame stained to match the furniture. We're going to put a photo of her in the center later.



I also found this super cute tree mural with flowers, birds, and butterflies for her wall!




I still can't bring myself to take apart the tricycle diaper cake Jen made for the baby shower. It might become a permanent fixture in her room. Also, big brother picked out some of the most treasured favorites from his collection and we put them on her bookshelf: lots of Eric Carle, Olivia, Sandra Boynton, Sesame Street, and Classic Fairy Tales. Some of them were mine was I was little. Sid can't wait to read to her in some of his funny voices!



We are soooo excited and ready!! Jeremy asked our OB/GYN at our last visit when my nesting period will be over and our Dr. said "Not really ever. My daughter is in her 20's and my wife is still shopping for her." HAHAHHAHAAAA!